Since being established by John F. Kennedy in 1962, National Police Week has provided annual events dedicated to honoring fallen officers and the opportunity for current and retired law enforcement personnel and supporters to share in their experiences and community. In addition to commemorative events held nationwide, Washington D.C. hosts a series of services attended by 25,000 to 40,000 officers and supporters, many traveling from cross country and international departments.
Police Week Services and Events - Washington D.C.
The Washington D.C. program includes local events beginning on May 6th – some of the larger services are described below; please view the full schedule on the National Police Week website here. The website also includes hotel, shuttle service, and other resources and planning considerations for officers and supporters who are able to attend.
• 26th Annual Candlelight Vigil, May 13th – The Vigil is open to the public, and begins at 8:00pm.
• Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) Events, May 13th to May 15th – The FOP D.C. Lodge will be hosting bar and food service, music, and entertainment from 11:00am to midnight for the week’s attendees.
• 33rd Annual National Peace Officers' Memorial Service, May 15th – This service, sponsored by the Grand Lodge Fraternal Order of Police and the Grand Lodge Fraternal Order of Police Auxiliary, is free and open to the public. Members of law enforcement are encouraged to attend in dress uniform, and business attire is suggested for other participants. The service will begin at 11:00am.
Police Week Services, Resources, and Events, National
• Ceremonial Events in Juneau, Alaska – Two ceremonies will be held May 9th in honor of fallen officers. Both ceremonies are open to the public.
• Charity fundraisers, tournaments and exhibitions in Broome County, NY – A series of events will be hosted starting on May 9th to commemorate the week.
• National Police Week Criminal Justice Symposium Event in Tucson, AZ – This panel discussion event begins at 6:00pm, and has a focus on education and career integration.
• National Police Week 5K – Hosted by the Officer Down Memorial Page, this charitable event held May 10th in Washington D.C. includes the option for virtual run participation for supporters outside the area.
If your department or community is hosting a Police Week event and you would like us to add it to our list, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.